Application Design: collaboration with user-research and visual design
I work at the technical and conceptual end of application design (often combining that with technical architecture and implementation).
I've worked on the interaction design and UI specifications for web applications, but also novel, mobile and embedded systems, factory units and bio-engineering robotics.
I've worked with and commissioned ethnographers and user researchers to make sure that on the interactive system will fit into people's existing work-patterns and everyday routines, including the inevitable "make-do" that occurs in every work environment.
I have profited from working with excellent visual and graphic designers - a clear conceptual design often emerges from the dialogue between systems thinking and visual thinking.
Recent public web applications:
- http://permatime.com a tool for users collaborating across timezones to share event timings
- http://teamportfolios.com a team collaboration portfolio site
- http://openstudiowestminster.org a site for managing and aggregating the independently managed blogs of different architecture studios for the Univestity of Westminster Architecture School
- http://theconnectedrepublic.org a social community discussing e-government, commissioned by Cisco
- http://sodaplay.com the second generation of the BAFTA winning creative play site, and an underlying framework
- https://challenge.networcs.net a site for children to challenge each other and learn about e-Safety